Welcome to the:
Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society (JSCAS) web site.
JSCAS is an association of amateur astronomers dedicated to the study and enjoyment of astronomy since 29 May 1967.
One of the benefits of being a member of theJSCAS is the ability to try out different types of telescopes for their own personal use. Our loaner scope program makes it possible to check out the most common types and sizes of telescopes to see if they fit the needs of the observer.
The JSCAS Loaner Scope Coordinator, Perry Scarborough, can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Members that wish to borrow a loaner scope will be asked to sign a form agreeing to the following:
1) Term of borrowing is three month increments, and continuing as long as no one else is in line for the scope. Borrower will keep the Loaner Scope Coordinator informed on any issues with the scope. After the expiration of the initial term of borrowing, the scope must be passed on promptly to the next borrower, as directed by the Coordinator. Each borrower remains responsible for the scope until directed by the Coordinator to pass it on.
2) Loaner scope borrower is strongly encouraged to commit to no less than two volunteer star party requests using the borrowed scope every three months.
3) Borrowing a telescope is a general agreement that the borrower will care for the scope and be responsible for any damages, even including replacement of the telescope. If you damage the telescope, or if the telescope is lost or stolen, you are responsible for the loss and must reimburse the JSCAS for repairs if damaged, or the Fair Market Value of the telescope if lost or stolen.
4) Telescopes are delicate precision instruments and must be handled with care. Borrowers should not disassemble any part of the scope or attempt any adjustments, repairs or cleaning of the optics. If you believe that the scope needs maintenance, adjustment or cleaning please contact the Coordinator for instructions.
5) If you do not plan on using the scope for the entire period please advise the Coordinator ASAP. It is your responsibility to arrange for pick up and return to the LPI.
If you would like to use one of these scopes, please contact Perry Scarborough at email@example.com
Telescopes may be checked out for three months at a time
8" Dobsonnian Telescope
1200 mm focal length, f5.9
Edmunds Scientific Reflector
100mm F.L., f/10
Orion Newtonian Reflector
800mm F.L., f/4.0
Polaris Pedstal Mount